Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Policemen and news crews




Dear Family

Remember last week how I said that we reported a sex offender on the bus? Well it turns out that Korea is a lot smaller than I had once imagined. About a week earlier there was an incident on a bus, except it was a lot worse with the bus driver being the sex offender and it created a buzz in the news scene. So after we met with some undercover policemen and gave our story some news crews started to call us. There are three main News companies in South Korea: MBC, KBS, and SBS, we were on two of the three and then on some local one. But since we didnt really want to be recognized we had our faces blurred and voices changed. All of our members still knew it was us thoughI guess it kind of gives it away with how tall my companion is as well as the fact that it was two girls, wearing dresses, one Korean and one American you dont see that very often. Things that I learned from that experience: even the News is business. They have to make money so even an incident that wasnt very big, like us being on a bus and reporting a creepy man, can become news.

Last Saturday our branch had its branch Christmas party which was a lot of fun. We brought an investigator with us and I think she really enjoyed it. Mostly she loved all the kids. She just graduated from High School and is the youngest of two daughters so probably doesnt see kids very often. But in our branch there are LOTS of little kids running around adorable chaos She was so cute, she looked at all the kids then looked over at me and asked can I touch them? I gave her free leave. In our branch it really is just like a family, everyones kids are everyone elses kids and they run around like bandits and anyone might run up to you at any moment and plop themselves down on your lap or try to take whatever neat trinket is in your hands.

Not a lot else has been happening, except that yesterday we had some more baptisms. A couple of little boys who are the kids of members, but their parents wanted us to teach them the lessons anyway, so we did. They are not convert baptisms but they are still way cute and I love them, Juhyuck (강주혁)and Hyundo (김현도).

I love you lots, Ill hear from you in a couple of days. I have no idea about what is happening though, who is calling, what time you are calling so feel free to call and let me know. Otherwise I will probably just be sitting in my apartment waiting.


--
Sister O'Bryan
Daejeon PO Box 38
Daejeon-si
Chungcheong bukdo 300-600
South Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment