Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The people you meet






Dear Family,
Have I ever told you how great it is to be a missionary? You can really feel how much God loves his children, you get to have new experiences everyday, and you meet ALL kinds of people. For example, we received a referral from our Elders the other day of a lady they met while street contacting. She seemed somewhat interested (or interesting), but because her husband was rarely home they could not go to meet her and instead just referred her to us. We called her up and she immediately agreed to meet and asked how soon she could see us. We were, of course, excited, and went to go find her. Flash forward three and a half hours later... so she was a little crazy, and may be writing her own bible based on supernatural out of body experiences she has and a few other things not really fit to tell you about/I didn't really understand... but she's still a daughter of God.....
Then you have really pure hearted 14 year old who you teach every Saturday who you absolutely love. If you were as sweet and as obedient and pure as she was you know that your mother would have been eternally grateful. Except she doesn't have parents and attends another church. Every week she talks about how much she wants to come to your church, but she can't because every week she has to prepare the rice as her pastor is sick and she is the only one who can do it. She also talks about how much she wants to get baptized and become a missionary one day. Let's just say I've never prayed so hard for another church's pastor in all of my life.
This past week in General Conference I really loved how much you could really feel the apostles and the prophet's love. I love the words that they speak, but there's something more, there's the spirit in which they say it. When they speak it's as if they are standing next to me and I can feel it more than I can hear it. One of my favorite's was President Monson's story about the family who celebrated Thanksgiving with nothing more than an old jack rabbit and a lot of thanks. It's good to be reminded of the blessings we have received. Whenever I feel down and out I just pull out a piece of paper and start listing my blessings, it's one of the best medicines I have found.
With one of our investigators after teaching about the plan of Salvation we gave her the assignment of drawing what she imagined the Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial kingdoms to be like. (Sorry I have those in the wrong order, in Korean it is simply the Sun Kingdom, Moon Kingdom, and Star kingdom, so much easier). So I attached the drawings my companion and I made (mine is the shabby one-- I'm not really good at drawing so I tried to make up for it with all the colors). It was really fun.
This week's challenge: Draw what you think the degrees of heaven will look like and send me your pictures.
--
Sister O'Bryan
Daejeon PO Box 38
Daejeon-si
Chungcheong bukdo 300-600
South Korea

p.s. the other picture says "Kentucky Hot Dogs" I almost peed my skirt from laughter, who knew Kentucky was so famous for their hot dogs?

No comments:

Post a Comment