Friday, February 5, 2010

Week 9 in Gwangju


Dear family,

Korea is great, Solar, the Chines New Year's, is coming up. It is a three day holiday from Feb. 13-15 and is one of the biggest things that happens in Korea, once I actually experience it then I should be able to tell you more about it, but for the time being you'll just have to look up more about it on the internet.

We have some great investigators and made three new ones yesterday who are studying English in order to be flight attendants in the Middle East. Random. But they are really fun and have some interest in the gospel so I am hopefull. We are still working with our family and the daughters are great, but it is really hard to get both of the parents there at once, if you have any suggestions, let me know.

This month's Liahona talks a lot about Christ, both in Old Testament times as well as how we can look to him and find strength in him for our day. It reminded me of a scripture that we often share with our members in Alma 7:11-12 which says:

"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and affliction and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith tht he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."

I love this scripture, but one day when we were explaining it the member basically looked at me and said "so what?" In other words, what does it mean to me. I thought about that a lot, we can share scriptures which mean a lot to us, but just saying the scripture doesn't mean that the meaning is also transferred. When we have scriptures we have to apply them to our lives, we have to find out what they mean for us. After thinking about it I realized that the reason I love this scripture so much is because often times in my life I feel like I am suffering or going through some pain and I wonder who would really understand. Who can I really talk to who understands me? There are lots of people who can listen and give me sympathy, but who can really understand and give me exactly what I need? This scripture provides that answer, it is Christ. He knows me because he has felt my pain and so much more. He knows me because he is my brother and he loves me and was willing to die for me then and is willing to live, to show me miracles, to answer my prayers, to do any number of things now. Question of the week: What is Christ willing to do for you?

I love you all and hope you are having a great week.

Sister O'Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment